Keeping It Right

Keeping It Right is for thought provoking conversationist. It's for those who love to talk about today's issues, yesterday's history and tomorrow's future.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, August 21, 2006

Good Conversation......(Repfanz)

You know I like good conversation as well as the next person and there is nothing better in a conversation, where both persons try to get to some understanding and is enlightened.

Last week, I had to rush home for a family emergency and needed a ride back to the OC. I found out that one of our document services guys, Victor Luna, was going to the OC. So I contacted him and he doubled back to our job site and picked me up.

Now talking about politics and social issues for me is like crossing a railroad track. You know there is a possibility that a train is coming, but yet you have to be careful. Folks that is essentially the life of a conservative. I am always careful with whom I talk politics with. And I don't know why I am this way now, maybe I'm battle weary. You can only debate and listen to the same rhetoric that comes out of the mouths of democratic supporters. So I have resigned to the why bother mode. If they want to wallow in ignorance, let them. If your black and you want to continue living on the master's plantation. Knock yourself out. I can't help you and I won't bring up politics or any other item. But back to my ride home on Thursday with Victor. First any time someone says they heard something on NPR. My red flag instantly comes up. One, NPR is supposed to be a moderate talk radio station, but isn't. So when Victor brought up NPR, right off the back I was thinking, oh no a democrat. But then the conversation turned, Victor said something about Hezbollah / Israel month long battle. Sounded conservative. He then mentioned his disgust of illegal aliens demanding rights to something they don't have a right too, well that opinion is not monopolized by either side, but sounds quite conservative. And then it hit me, Victor is a republican and has voted for President Bush.

From right there we had a long conversation about politics, national and state level. I got some understanding from his perspective in regard to immigration. Victor, like me, knows the difference between "illegal" immigration and "legal" immigration. We both cite that illegal immigration not only hurts the lower and middle class. But that politicians need to stop campaigning for votes they are never going to get.

I have to admit that our conversation was good and I really enjoyed it. I look forward to getting his thoughts and opinions on other items.