Keeping It Right

Keeping It Right is for thought provoking conversationist. It's for those who love to talk about today's issues, yesterday's history and tomorrow's future.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Can I Get Some Freedom

Can I Get Some Freedom?
J.Lewis/RF23
www.keepingitright.blogspot.com


A fellow internet boardmember recently started a thread in regard to the mindset of conservatives. Personally, he hit the nail on the head in his assessment of conservatives, but I got the feeling that he was depicting "conservatives" as selfish, non-compassionate people who don't care about anything accept guns and less government. Which is probably not the case, maybe I'm skeptical, but then again, as sure as the sun is bright and hot, someone is going to say that republicans are a bunch of kool aid drinking boobs, who hate black people and would rather eat a "Big Mac with fries and shake" in front of a starving black kid. And oh, we are blood thirsty people who would rather drop bombs on innocent women and children because they happen to be standing on a black gold mine, underneath the sands of a Middle Eastern desert.

And since I happened to hit on the subject of oil and the war. My fellow internet boardmember quoted me in regard to my "now" belief that the Iraqis and muslims everywhere else in the Middle East Region want to be free. They want democracy and they want to be able to express themselves without being lashed or executed for rabble rousing against their oppresive governments. To me it makes sense, it reminds me of Black-Americans of old. Blacks were bounded in slavery, freed and remained oppressed until the yok was broken in the sixties. And it wasn't easy, it took the lives of many, it took the sacrifices of a few, it took the faith of a whole people "to be" whatever their minds took them. Today, blacks can attain the highest office of the land, blacks can run and lead huge corporations, blacks can be millionaires and billionaires, blacks can attain anything, hard work and dedication can get them without fail.

Now I know some people won't agree with that. They will say that racism is still the root cause for all failures in the black community. They'll prevace that with "tolling in plantations" as slaves, that they never tolled in nor were made to be slaves. They'll blame White Americans for their social ills and have ready and cocked the racial bullet of calling someone a racist if they disagree or take a different position. It's ironic that the same "tolerance" that some blacks or other social groups clamor for, is the same intolerance that is not given if someone happens to disagree with Affirmative Action, Abortion, The Environment, Gay - Lesbian Rights, Crime and so on...Don't we have the right to "express" ourselves without the moral police of the Main Stream Media prosecuting us for saying, "hey, affirmative action is no longer needed and it's reverse racism." Or, "abortion is wrong or it's a woman's right to choose," "I'm against same sex marriages," "I'm against illegal immigration."

Does that make some conservatives the devil or warped in their thinking....And when you think about it, who really gives a damn? Why would I give two flucks about what some democratic supporter feels. I really shouldn't. But what I care about is that I respect his position and in turn he respects mine. That's the one thing that this country is missing, our ideology might not be the same, but in the end we damn sure would strike like a rattle snake if someone told us that since we are against homosexuality, that we should tarred and feathered and made to wear a sign that said homophobe or that all able bodied Americans should get off their azzes and "do something" to feed their familes, instead of taking the "entitlement" route that the government is responsible for all their needs and wants, that we should be stockcaded with a sign that said "selfish."

I would like to think that our freedom of expression is what make some muslim countries crazy. They can't stand that an ordinary peon can say, "I hate George Bush and he' an idiot," and nothing happens to them. They can't stand the fact that a woman can be free to express herself and be seen and heard! They can't stand that many religions can be practiced in this country, including Islam! And they can't stand the fact that some of their own people have stopped, as if they were window shopping, to see this democracy, to see this individual rights and freedoms.

They can't believe that a people who were slaves, made free, were oppressed for over one hundred years, have the biggest GNP than their own countries, are supreme ct. justices, are secretaries of state, governors, senators, inventors and so on! are free!!

And they're saying, "Mr. Salesman, I want that, where can I get the seeds to begin my democracy. My freedom for me and my children. I want to end oppression, I'm tired of the blood shed of many innocents for expressing themselves. I want better things for my country and me leaving it to douse myself with just a little taste of what the Americans are getting in their own country, won't do me any good, knowing that my mother, father, brother and sisters are still going through hell with radical regimes.


And having said all that. In 2005, millions of Iraqis voted and expressed themselves. In 1999 and now, thousands of Iranians are starting to hiss about their own freedoms. They want to attain it by themselves, but freedom is the main prize and sweeter if they do it....on their own.



This one says it all:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2294509.stm

Do these Iranians Want Democracy?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2996604.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2946982.stm


http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2563413.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/2383267.stm

Do you think this Professor and his students want some type of "Freedom" of Speech?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2773989.stm