Keeping It Right

Keeping It Right is for thought provoking conversationist. It's for those who love to talk about today's issues, yesterday's history and tomorrow's future.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Scoop Jackson: I Don't Have A Hate Bone In My Body

Scoop Jackson: I Don't Have A Hate Bone In My Body

you know by now, Hardaway created controversy for himself during the NBA All Star Weekend, when he said on a radio interview, that he hated gay people. He has since back peddled faster than Deion Sanders in issuing apologies and equating discrimination that he claims he has experienced to his apology....For discussion purposes only, I am going to highlight some of Hardaways answers with question or comments of my own.

Full Interview: paste or click link: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/070222

My comments:

SJ - Scoop Jackson
TH- Tim Hardaway



1. SJ: They call them hate crimes for a reason.

TH: And that's what it was, a hate crime on my part. But I was never brought up to hate anybody, you know that. But that's just the word and that's how we used it. You know when we got a whopping we'd be like, "I hate my moms" or "I hate my dad," and at the time you really didn't hate them, but that was the word you used. You know I can go into a restaurant and say, "I hate this food, I hate the chef, I don't even know why I came back to this restaurant." But I know I can't use the word like that, or let's say I'm not supposed to. People have come up to me and told me, "Tim, you can't say that you hate gay people because it's not the same term." But that's how I talk. That's the way I am.

Me: First, Scoop, his comments were no where near a hate crime. Hardaway, had a right to express his thoughts or feeling about gays in sports. Just because the MSM and a few far leftist were offended, does not make his comments a hate crime. No, if he had said, I hate figglas, while beating the mess out of one them...then we would be talking, hate crimes...

2. SJ: But still you have issues with gays?
TH: I still don't accept their lifestyle. No.
Me: and who does, the thing is that Hardaway does not have to live their lifestyle either...It's none of his business...

3. SJ: But Tim, you've been in Miami for years now and there is a strong and public gay community there. How have you still held on to that same mentality while living in Miami all of these years?
TH: I just get away from it. I just walk away. I see it, I just go the other way, cross the street.
Me: Tim, if I didn't know any better, that whole line sounded like you were walking on one side of the street and spotted someone with a pit bull and in fear of getting attacked, you crossed the street. Tim, they are still people and nine out of ten times, they ain't interested in you...Cmon'!

4/5. SJ: But Tim, you've been in Miami for years now and there is a strong and public gay community there. How have you still held on to that same mentality while living in Miami all of these years?
TH: I just get away from it. I just walk away. I see it, I just go the other way, cross the street.
SJ: So at no point did you ever try to understand their lifestyle or way of life?
TH: No. Never did. Never wanted to.
SJ: Do you want to now?
TH: No. I don't want to … try to find some type of understanding of why they live the way they live or why they are the way they are. Maybe I could go to therapy, maybe someone can help me out with understanding [them], the sensitivity of the issue. But as a person, my beliefs are my beliefs. I don't have to condone it and I don't have to be around it. But I don't have to hate it either.

Me: You see this is what makes this debate a never ending story, is it a lifestyle, choice, sexual preference or do we have a small population that is born homosexual?

6. SJ: Lemme ask you this, because I'm really trying to get at where this is coming from, the way you came across on the radio, your choice of words, your anger. I've had people roll up on me and say that something must have happened to you in your life to make you feel the way that you do about gays. Now I've been through everything that's gone on in your life with your family -- the substance abuse, the alcoholism, you riding the CTA [Chicago public transportation] at 8 years old, surviving Altgeld Gardens, all of that. But did anything happen to you? Was there any homosexual experience that triggered any of your resentment toward gay people that happened when you were young that none of us knows about?

TH: When we was growing up Scoop, if we saw gay people or whatever, we ran across the street. We got away from them. Our parents, our friends, our families knew that that wasn't right. We didn't want to be around that and they definitely didn't want us kids around it. And it's not that they hated gay people, they just felt they it wasn't right. Let them do what they want to do. And that was my experience when I was growing up. Not acknowledging them. Now did something happen to me? No. But I did have a friend that something happened to him in a Catholic school, but that is another can of worms that it's not my place to open because it's not my life. But to answer your question, "No." Nothing happened to me. I just don't condone [being gay]. When I see gay people holding hands or kissing in the streets, I just don't think that's right

Me: Tim, regardless of what you think, they have a right to express themselves, and showcase their feelings. Just like you and your wife express in public or private...sorry.