Keeping It Right

Keeping It Right is for thought provoking conversationist. It's for those who love to talk about today's issues, yesterday's history and tomorrow's future.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Over the past weekend in Las Vegas, I caught a little bit of ESPN to catch up on some scores and to see what Roy Jones, Jr., did in his last fight. By the way, Jones did enough to win, not wow. As I waited to see those results, a segment came up as to should Mark McGwire be voted in the Hall of Fame on his first try? I automatically thought, hell yeah, he should, but then like a prick on a finger, my hell yeah, went to oh yeah, that steroid thing.

I have always maintained and stated that I don't care what an athlete does to his body. I really don't, especially if it's a baseball player. Look, I want to witness a no-no just like any other baseball lover, but once a player reaches first base from a batted ball. I want to see home runs, a bunch if necessary. I don't care if they barely make it over the fence or if they're hit so hard that the ball ricochets of a plane and hits an eagle in the ass! But obviously that wasn't the subject and baseball "purists" still wanting to believe in statistical numbers of way dead ball players, want to hold McGwire's feet to the fire. Deny him entry to the hall? On what grounds, did he or did he not entertain the masses who came to the ball park to see the one thing I come to see. Did he or did he not meet all the expectations of what a power hitter is. And exactly what rule did he break in baseball to get him labeled as a cheater? Now he may have broke public law and he may have some moral responsibility to thousands of young men who idolize him. However that last time I checked, McGwire, Bonds and Sosa broke no written rules in baseball. none.

"If I had a vote, I won't vote him in," was the most used line by so called sports journalist and I won't even repeat what some Hall of Famers said.

Well why not vote him in? He has over 500 homeruns and he along with Sammy Sosa revived a dying baseball back from going into the light, like other great sporting events, such as boxing. Another reason, unlike some of the present day HOF'ers, we'll remember Mark McGwire.

So to all the sports journalist, get off your high horse and let the man through and hold the door open for Barry.