Keeping It Right

Keeping It Right is for thought provoking conversationist. It's for those who love to talk about today's issues, yesterday's history and tomorrow's future.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Played During Segregation? Asteriks

RF23: PLAYED DURING SEGREGATION? ASTERIKS

Now some of you are going to fall out of your chairs when you read this...But I am having a huge a problem with sports stars back in the day, who played while the country was practicing open segregation and racial discrimination. Now I know Jackie Robinson broke through when the US was still going through civil rights issues, discrimination and what have you. I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about the players who "dominated" while there was no one of color in sight. I take that back, they were the caddies, waiters and the dudes cleaning up the locker room. No, I'm not talking about Howard Dean's house. I'm talking about the Babe Ruths, Joe Dimaggios and now the late Byron Nelson. All of these names are revered in White American sports. Babe Ruth is a god and untouchable when it comes to pointing out his flaws. He always played in not so good shape. His ego was bigger than Yankee stadium and when he was knocking homeruns over home and visitor fences. A part of Americana was not allowed to even witness this feat by competing against him. Joe Dimaggio by all accounts was not a nice person, he trusted noone and was stand offish. He has a 56 game hitting streak. Did he bat against the best pitchers....Hell No! Yet he is placed in the annuls of all time greats in baseball...And now the late Byron Nelson, who passed today, he won eleven golf tournaments in a row, when he played. Do I have to even say the rest? Won eleven tournaments in a row and no one of color besides the caddy.
All three men were big time sports figures and yet no where have I read that either one of these men spoke up about the issues of their day. Racism, Prejudice and Discrimination. Not one.
So why do I have to hold these men in the same standard? Each one could have said, "hey look, it's great for all the accomplishments, but I wonder what it would be like to compete against everyone."
Could it hurt their status? maybe, but what it will do is ask the question. Hey I heard that there was this Negro player who pitches likes the dickens, how come he isn't in the majors to see if he can stand up to the Ruth, Cobb and Dimaggio. That question never came up? Instead what we got, was Mr. Dickey why are signing a Negro ball player? And let me set this straight, in my opinion, Dickey knew the majors was losing money to a league that was more exciting and entertaining. Signing Robinson was a financial move and it eventually saved baseball.
So this is how I have it...Played during segregation? Asteriks!! If the media is going to put the onus on Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan to speak out on today's issue...Than I have the same right to hold Ruth, Nelson and any other white superstar athlete accountable.
*