Keeping It Right

Keeping It Right is for thought provoking conversationist. It's for those who love to talk about today's issues, yesterday's history and tomorrow's future.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Friday, January 26, 2007

Civil Rights Issues of the 21st Century...

While checking out my daily news information sites, I came across an article in which community activist Al Sharpton was going around talking to potential presidential candidates about "his" issues. And by now we should know what his issues are, so I'm not going to get into that. And based off the article, it was not noted that security had to be called for huge amounts of money changing hands in the name of social justice. But the one thing that got my attention is a statement made "I'm still standing by my man" Hillary Clinton is that she intends to address "the civil rights issues of the 21st century," so Community Act. Al won't involve himself in the 2008 Presidential run.

"Civil Rights Issues of the 21st Century" what is that? So I googled that little saying up and it came up with a few issues, that I sincerely did not know were civil rights issues. And one of them I know for sure was not supported by the democrats or the far past china left.

Here they are, and if there are more , please add them in your replies:

1. Voting rights to ex-felons

2. Healthcare Discrimination

3. Gay Rights

4. Regional Equity

5. Hispanic Civil Rights

and


6. Education - Support of School Choice


Now lets tackle voting rights for ex-felons, individuals who are convicted and sentenced to long term prison terms, lose the right and privilege to participate in our voting processs. I think if an individual who has done his time in the big house and reported to the man every week, should not have the privilege to participate in voting...It seems to me that along with committing a crime that will always be on his record, the person should think about the consequences of going to prison for a long time, but! hey, I'm going to lose the right of being disfrenchised when the GOP wins or not properly reading the ballot correctly....

Next, healthcare discrimination, here is my experience of visiting my doctor....

Nurse: RF23? 23?
Me: here

Nurse: Come with me

follows nurse to empty room

Nurse: go ahead and take your clothes off and put on the robe and the doc will be in soon.
Me: awww right

This is usually where we wait an additional ten to fifteen minutes....

door opens and doc walks in

Doc: Mr. 23, how are you

this is where you tell the doc. what is matter with you or why you are there.

I don't recall the doctor coming in the room, recognizing that I'm black and saying, you need to git ya-self off my table and git the hell outta of my office!

Not once, and all of my doctors have been either black, white, asian or other....

Gay rights - this one I don't get, what the hell does the public need to know what you do in your own bedroom. are there straight rights?


Regional Equity - disparity of who is living in poor neighborhoods, seems that some people don't like the fact that a hardworking, law abiding family moves out of an area that is similiar to Lebanon. Apparently there is supposed to be some type of guilt of leaving other families behind to deal with it...I think...

Hispanic Civil Rights - Let me get this straight, hispanics who have long been catergorized as white, weren't segregated in the military...is now looking for civil rights...I think it's illegal hispanics who are looking to get over for their crimes.....

Education: Let me get this straight, they now want a "choice" of schools and supports vouchers...strange...

Article: http://washingtontimes.com/national/20070126-122635-4418r.htm