Keeping It Right

Keeping It Right is for thought provoking conversationist. It's for those who love to talk about today's issues, yesterday's history and tomorrow's future.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, March 06, 2006

Books and Covers

You know I really need to stop judging books from its covers. I can count on my hand at least two times when I judged something I perceived as "bad" or the usual rhetoric of some leftist whiner. Hey, someone can look at this blog and see that it may be my usual rhetoric about the right and what is wrong with the left. I can admit openly that I when the republicans do something assinine like back the President on this open ports deal..I get a little irritated. But, I see the catch-22 they are in. If one hand they go with what I feel, they would be accused of ruining a relationship with one of our Arab allies. I mean the UAE is assisting us in the fight against terror. And, another point is that we would be guilty of practicing discrimination, practicing racial profiling. This administration and the RNC cannot afford to have that tag on them. But again with the judging. I saw the movie "Hustle and Flow" last night...and again, I pre-judged it. I thought it was one of them pimp and ho's, fiddy cent movies about some dude wanting to change his game and rap. Well, that what it was. But unlike other blaxploitation movies, it had a plot. Terrance Howard deserved his nomination. Lets take a look back at where we saw this actor. I first saw him in a comedy with Miguel Nunez and James Avery, playing a conservative lawyer. The show was on UPN and was Avery's first show as the star. Next, Howard played a hustler and gangsta in one of my favorites, "Dead Presidents." Unfortunately he got beat down by Larenz Tate's character after he told Tate's character that his boss, Puddy, was doing the do with his lady. Most of you will remember Howard playing a cold blooded killer in the comedy, "Big Momma's House I" or on Oprah's "Their Eyes Were Watching God" starring Halle Berry and another up and coming actor, Michael Ealy (Barbershop I and II and Sleeper Cell). And what about recently playing in "Crash" and starring in "Hustle and Flow." Both of those films showed an actor with helluva talent. We're talking about a man, who could have easily done Denzel's Oscar winning roles. But the movie, I thought was well written and you find yourself rooting for the pimp who wants to change his life. And not only his, but his family. His family would be considered, his only two ho's. Howard's portrayal of the G-rated pimp, was absolutely great. And although he didn't get the nod of winning best actor, he won last night by showing that one of his characters in "Crash" and his character in "Hustle and Flow" an actor who is going to win an Oscar..

Soon.