Keeping It Right

Keeping It Right is for thought provoking conversationist. It's for those who love to talk about today's issues, yesterday's history and tomorrow's future.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

It Was The Racism...

You know what guys and girls? I was wrong. I hate to say it, but maybe Lashawn Barber wasn't playing and really did admit to being on the wrong side of the fence. Because like Lashawn, I, too have realized that I am on the wrong side of the fence and since I live in Upper Mexico, the wrong damn side of the border.

Recently I read a post from someone I respect in regard to black conservatives not participating in or pulling out of forums from black liberals to discuss the State of Black America or what the hell is wrong with us peoples. He said that black conservatives are punks for canceling out of invites or avoiding these type of discussions and the keyword here is: discussion. An event like Saturday's Annual State of Black America was supposed to be a discussion about the progress or non-progress of Black America.

I agree that a discussion in regard to Black America should have different opinions and ideals, but I also think that there should be a solution. Something to say like: "Okay here is the problem and this I what I think and I either agree or disagree with So and So on this issue, but he is my brother or Sister and I'm going to work with him or her so we can collectively figure this damn thing out." You know something like that, at least both sides can collectively agree that there are issues out there and want to come to some solution to address it. But that didn't happen over the weekend, oh! there were some issues out there, but no one addressed it. There could have been some ideas out there, but no one mentioned it. There could have been some solutions, but none were made. Which lends to the question of exactly what was the meaning of having a State of Black America, where everyone on the panel is lock and step on one issue.

Racism.

Racism is the reason why black america is failing. Racism is the reason of why over 50% of a 12% population of black folk in this country is in prison. Racism is the reason of why everything negative that effects blacks from AIDs to Voting. Racism..Racism.

Racism was even the cause of why the levies broke in New Orleans. Again, I was wrong, I thought for sure the reason why the levies broke was because of the intensed pounding and high waves from the lake caused by high category 9 winds from a hurricane. Silly me. I had no idea that it was institutionalized racism that broke the levies. I guess I should be afraid, because I live in Upper Mexico (California), the next earthquake or the big one that hits us won't be because the faults shifted. It would be because of centuries and generations of institutionalized racism. Who would have thought that racism was this powerful to cause natural disasters. And I may be trying to be funny, but if according to some of the participants of Saturday's discussion, if natural disasters represent the white man's racism, can we assume that Superman stood up for racism? Just a thought. I won't be foolish to believe that even an alien like Superman, who was white, will stand up for the black man, I mean that would mean that I have to believe that all abolitionist were all white and that couldn't be true. I mean how else can you explain all the black colleges and most importantly the NAACP. But as I digress, the person who claimed that black conservatives are punks because they refuse to attend these type of meetings. He's right. But what he won't say, is why.

Why go to an event where noone in the crowd is willing to accept a different point of view? Why go to an event, where even the panel will call you a sell out and out of your name. What's the point? Go to an event, and be called a hate monger? I don't get it, so therefore I will concede that it was the institution of racism that broke the levies in New Orleans, I will concede that it was terrorists that killed Malcom X, although its pretty tough to call four black men, who themselves were Nation of Islam members. Members who were incited by the man who would become their leader to kill Malcom X, who had issues about Black America, wanted to address the issues and wanted to find a solution to the issues.

And speaking of terrorist and institutionalized racism, Is it racism that causes the lives of over 2000 young black men to end every year. These young men were'nt sleeping in their beds, only to be rudely awaken by white men on horseback, wearning white bed sheets with matching pillow covers, demanding they get up from that there bed and get their black azz outside. These young men were'nt hit with whips, butted with a rifle or pistol whipped. These young men were'nt strung up by the neck and left hanging so everyone could pose with the now brutally beaten corpse. No, these young men were gunned down because someone with the same skin color demanded to know what "set" they were from and shot them. These young men were mowed down because someone wanted a piece of city property to sell crack cocaine, so therefore in order to absolutely, positively clear everyone off the city corner...They used an AK-47 to end the lives of 3 or 4 young men and innocent bystanders. But I stand corrected and will concede that it was institutionalized racism that caused all that and not our home grown thugs who terrorized them. I guess I can find solace in knowing that my childhood friend, Termel was brutally murdered because of institutionalized racism. That my wife's nephew, Ontarrio was brutally murdered because of institutionalized racism. And not by the black men who did it.