Keeping It Right

Keeping It Right is for thought provoking conversationist. It's for those who love to talk about today's issues, yesterday's history and tomorrow's future.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, November 13, 2006

Yesterday (RF23)

Yesterday...
J. Lewis.
www.keepingitright.blogspot.com

You know I never would have thought that I would ever or would disagree with one of our greatest civil rights champions. Who? Martin Luther King, Jr., yeah, I can't believe it, but I was just thinking to myself and said, "self, what is the one thing you and MLK, Jr., would disagree on, if he were alive today?" and I said, "well, I guess we would disagree on the War on Terror." I think King would disapprove strongly on the War on Terror. Whereas, most of you know I agree with the war and although it looks like we are going to pull our troops outta there, with the mission not done and I guess the 28oo or so troops killed in action and or accidents would really be for nothing. And this includes Cindy Sheehan's son, Casey. At least at the time of his death, he and other troops that have perished, died because we were there to rid the Iraqi people of a dictator, who decided to "man-up" at the wrong time and flipped an angry United States off, after we were attacked on September 11, 2001. And if Casey were in Afghanistan, ridding the Afghani people of a radical group that was terrorizing and harboring the actual terrorist who was responsible for his greatest attack on this country since Japan attacked us on December 7, 1941. Either way, troopers like Casey layed their life down, because one, they swore to defend our country and our country's interest.

Now, it pains me to read that we are going to pull out and leave the Iraqi and Afghani people to I guess the same terror the Vietnamese people had to endure.

So back to Martin, if he were alive, he would applaud that news and I guess try to re-open talks with our enemies, peacefully.

What else would I disagree with Martin Luther King, Jr., on? Affirmative Action. Although King asked to be judged by content of character and not skin color. I guess he would applaud President Richard Nixon's signing into law, Affirmative Action. Now if I were old enough or my parent's age during that time frame, I would agree whole heartedly that such a program would have been necessary. I mean in some parts or in all of America, blacks were treated unfairly. I get that, but if King were alive right now, today, we would disagree in regard to Affirmative Action. I simply feel that if a company refuses to hire, which is their right, minorities based off bigotry, deserves to wither and die. I know I told the story about a store owner in Alabama, that straight up told me he didn't serve blacks. He was an old man and I appreciated his telling me that. Nevertheless, I went back to Alabama, saw the store, and surprised that it was still open. I went inside again and this time, there was a younger white man inside. He smiled and asked if I needed anything, and this was during my radical mad at the white man, "X" hat wearing days, listening to X-Clan, Public Enemy and KRS. I asked what happened to the old guy who worked in here..He replied, oh Grand dad, he's at home, I own the store. I asked if he served black people. He laughed and said, "oh you met my grandfather?" I apologize for that, but you are more than welcome and I appreciate you visting (I haven't bought anything, yet). He went on to say, that his grandfather had to live with his father, because the store didn't generate revenue. The military "off limit-ed" the store for his views and actions. He basically went broke, so he took over the store, cleared the stores name with the base and all of this happened in the course of two years. But the frosting on the cake was this very attractive sista (black woman) came into the store carrying a baby of mixed race, passed right by me and said, "hey, see here's your daddy" and gave the baby to the man. "My wife." said the store owner. I smiled, picked up a beverage and left.

Change... and that is what this country has done...Now for some of you, it may be too slow or the memory of having to sit in the back of bus, eat at separate dining facilities, use different bathroom facilities or drink from different water fountains seems like yesterday. And I get and respect those feelings and I damn sure appreciate the historic value, but it's exactly that, yesterday. And unfortunately, the things I disagree with King on, was for a time, a change in our America that was needed desparately....

Yesterday.