Keeping It Right

Keeping It Right is for thought provoking conversationist. It's for those who love to talk about today's issues, yesterday's history and tomorrow's future.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Calming Effect

"Those who ask for tolerance....are the most intolerant"

A few days ago, Drew and I were talking and he asked my thoughts on Affirmative Action. Initially shocked because everyone that has talked to my on my thoughts about Black America which includes race based hiring or preferences, should know that I feel as of today in 2006, Not 1966 or 56, that affirmative action has served its cause when it was signed into law by Richard Nixon.

Affirmative Action, race based preferences or quotas is wrong in a politically correct America. Let me give you an example:

1. It is my belief that some blacks have no problem of taking a job that they know is a race based hiring or that he is a quota.

How would you feel if your supervisor told you that you were hired because they needed to have some many minorities on the payroll to continue obtaing Gov't funds or contracts? And the fact that they had people who were well qualifed for the job, but couldn't hire....I would feel small...but in the mean time, I would learn my job and improve myself to prove to the managers that I'm no damn pawn, and although I was an affirmative action hire, I could do the job either the same or ten times better than the desired candidate. Am I the exception? I don't think so.

2. It is my belief that we, as black americans have squandered all of the opportunities sacrificed by our grandparents.

We are the poor the little kittens who got our mittens dirty. We can't fix it and we're in worse shape than we, as black americans were before. You know the one thing I think about, with the passing of our relatives, is what did they think of black america? You take GaNeane's grandmother, she was active in political activities, hell up until her death, she was still calling blacks, negroes, cause that is what she identified with. What did she think of young black men, wearing their pants almost to their knees? what did she think about the shiftless blacks who continued to look for hand outs instead of doing things on their own. Surely the black america she left behind was no where close to the black america she lived in. What about Ms. Taitt? A woman who dedicated her life to giving back the gift of education to our generation and our children's generation. What did she think, when she retired? Yeah, our age group may have gotten the lessons, but some of us sure as hell didn't maintain it. She teached in a period, where students came into the classroom, and didn't dare cut up, with the fear of their parents putting a little something to their backside...And that was after, a few other folks got to tee off on dat ass...What did she think? Surely this wasn't the plan for black america. It had to hurt to see black students do the things they did, when she herself was probably denied entry to schools because of her race.


So there you have it and I have attached a entry by Lashawn Barber called "Calming Effect." I think the article expresses my thoughts to a certain point....

Here it is:

11.14.06
Calming Effect
Just as I’ve decided to stop complaining about illegal “immigration” from a burdened-American perspective, I may do the same with race preferences.
I’m only one person, and though I’ve probably influenced a few readers with my unorthodox opinions about so-called affirmative action, black people in general will always support it, just as they will continue voting for liberals.
It’s disheartening to know that yet another generation of blacks is growing up with persecution complexes and prove-you’re-not-a-racist-by-giving-me-perks attitudes. For at least 25 years, lowered standards and expectations for blacks have been the status quo in public institutions. Whether blacks are attending schools they’re not qualified to attend because of race preferences and would fare better at schools better suited to their abilities (high on my list of possible explanations) or whether the collapse of the black family and a general apathy to education relegates black kids to the academic basement, I don’t know and I honestly don’t care. People make their own choices in this free country, and if parents don’t care about their own offspring, why am I worrying about them?
A black liberal once asked me how I could be so adamant in my views, how I could be sure that I’d always think conservatively. He was upset that I was publicly displaying conservative views and believed that one day, I’d change the way I saw the world. (The implication was that I’d return to liberalism.)
Wherever you are, “concerned” black liberal, you were right. My view of the world is slowly changing, but not the way you’d hoped. I am convinced that some blacks are afraid to be treated equally because they know they’ll never be academically competitive with whites. I am convinced that deep down, some blacks would rather accept lowered standards than face the embarrassment of a truly level playing field. They will use any means necessary – political, legal, psychological – to make sure the color of their skin always remains front and center, and at the same time, castigate people who can’t see past it.
It’s illogical, but it’s what humans do. It’s a coping mechanism that is ingrained, passed from one generation to the next. The condition of black Americans as a group (high illegitimacy rates even at higher income levels, unstable families, disproportionately high crime rates, underachievement, etc.) won’t improve until a critical mass of that group understands and vocalizes the truth.
It is true that people have their own lives to live and their own choices to make. The last thing I want to do is tell people what to do. But when those same people expect me and others to bear the burden of those choices without complaint, the rules change.
Just as illegal “immigration” raises my blood pressure, so does acceptance of lowered standards and expectations. It’s a shame. It’s a waste. But, it’s the way it is.
Despite the tone of this post, I’m feeling good. Not to get too much into my life outside the blog but…a certain person in it is having a calming effect on me. Some battles don’t seem worth fighting anymore, namely, trying to convince people of the absolute need to see themselves as capable, morally accountable, and undeserving of anything handed to them out of pity.
Priorities change, and life points you in a different direction. I welcome it (and you), my friend.